Sunday, July 13, 2008

Barack Obama's Christian Journey

An interesting read...

I just can't get over how this journey lead him to the Democratic party. He's campaigning on "Change" meaning he'll somehow change Washington. But I think change needs to start closer to home. If he can't change the position of the Democratic party but rolls with the punches in order to get nominated and then maybe elected President, then I can only assume that Washington DC will withstand his attempts to change it.

But I digress... and I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I just don't like how comfortable he is as a Democrat.

Cover Story: Barack Obama's Christian Journey | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

**UPDATE**
Well, I couldn't stop thinking about this post. I wrote it quickly and it left me with the feeling I was saying one could not be both a Christian and a Democrat at the same time. Religion and politics are not the same thing but they do overlap a lot. There are many fringe political parties out there and I assume that just about anyone could find a party that match their belief 100%. But to really be involved in politics you would need to join one of the major parties, and to do that requires compromise on many of your positions and beliefs.

So neither Democrats nor Republicans are any way close to being a "Christian" party. But the Democrat party has always seemed actually "hostile" towards Christian belief. They embrace a lot of other religions and causes and belief systems, but not Christianity. It's this hostility on the part of the party itself that makes me wonder why any self professing Christian would be a part of it. So again, I wonder how Obama's Christian Journey lead him to the Democrat party? I wonder if Obama can "change" the party of if the party will change him.

He talks a lot about his personal beliefs, but will any of his beliefs be reflected in the party platform? He was able to make Jesse Jackson mad by saying the Black fathers need to stay around throught he tough times and actually help raise their kids. But is he willing to anger the feminist by truthfully saying that women should "stay" pregnant through the tough 9 months and actually give birth to their child? I doubt he's willing to even say that, and he'll never do any to limit "abortion rights". Where's the Christianity in that?

0 comments: