Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Problem with -The Story of Stuff

OK, I ran across this a few weeks ago and I'm finally posting it. Not because I agree with it all, but because it does make one think.

http://www.storyofstuff.com/index.html


The sad thing is that they don't think their ideas are good enough to make anyone that disagreed with them to actually re-think the issue. So they have to be insulting, and take cheap shots, and over generalize just about everything. But if you can get past that, it is interesting.

But here is my problem with it. I really wish the people who really cared about this (and similar issues) would stop the rhetoric and offer REAL solutions. They don't offer any real solution, and after watching this you'll think the problem is so BIG and so endemic that only "radical" change will do any good. And that's the problem. Like the climate change doomsayers, they are preparing people for radical extreme action by super-exaggerating of the problem. They are not really concerned with fixing the real problems, but one day they just might get enough people to follow them on their radical fixes, and I don't want to be around when they do, or afterwards.javascript:void(0)
Publish Post

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, Mike, have you gone to "stuff.com"? I don't think it has anything to do with planned obsolesance. In fact, it seems like one of those sites that you shouldn't be caught going to on your work computer...

DB

Michael said...

That's because I posted about http://www.storyofstuff.com

Anonymous said...

I'm a high school teacher, and I showed this to my A day class but won't be showing it to my B day class. It was just too biased. Does anyone know an alternative video that explains the life cycle of stuff? I'm looking for a student friendly, non biased version that will advocate for change without being offensive!