Monday, January 14, 2008

An Islamic Jesus?

Interesting....
In my own research into Islam (reading some of the Koran) I was in fact surprised at how much Islam and Christianity have in common. So much so that I would think of Muslims similarly to the way I think of Jews, They both worship the same God as I do, they just missed the coming of the messiah (Jesus).

I honestly believe (or perhaps hope) that God has someway to "saving" people who honestly believe in him, but not Jesus. I don't understand it, but God saves whomever he wants to save, so I pray that somewhere in the mysteries of God, there is a way for this to be done. I don't have to understand it, for it to be true.

If Muslims had similar beliefs the world would be much more peaceful. Particular if they could accept the idea of some sort of separation between "religion" and "state".

'Islamic Jesus' hits Iranian movie screens

3 comments:

Sal said...

You should read my article, "The Muslim Jesus"

http://www.theseventhheaven.com/Jesus.html

Funny you mention Islamic politics as being bad.. where in the past 1000 yrs or so has there ever been a perfect political system, where the country's citizens actually likes its gov't?

The only 2 verses in the entire Quran that has anything to do with politics is where God directed Prophet Muhammad to "consult the believers in determining the affairs of the people" (3:159); the Quran guided his SUCCESSORS by saying "and they determine their affairs by mutual consultation" (42:38). "Mutual consultation" within the ambit of the eternal & inviolable Laws given in the Quran is the "way of the believers" (4:115), which should never be given up.

Michael said...

The system of government in Islamic nations (past or present) is not necessarily any worse or better than ours. However, the "West" has one thing that allowed us to stop fighting each other over religion, and that is the concept of separation of government authority and religious authority.

I don't hear this from Muslims. The constitutions of both Iraq and Afghanistan (which we helped write) both say religious Islamic law is binding to some degree.

I don't see how there can be any real peace until this happens.

I'll comment on the website later after I read it...

Michael said...

The website does not say anything that I haven't heard or read elsewhere, but it does have more details, thanks for posting it.

Muslims and Christians both worship the same God, We just believe that Jesus was the Son of God. Since Muhammad rejected this, I can't accept his other teachings as authoritative.

But I do hope that God can save anyone who truly believes in God, despite all the mistakes and misunderstandings we ALL have.