Friday, May 04, 2007

DVD-HD and some hex starting with 0x09f9...

OK, its time I weighed in on this. To me a "Secret" is not able to be copyrighted or patented. The whole idea of these protections is that it protects information that is PUBLISHED, not "secret" information. So I think I'm safe on copyright issues.

But what about "trade secret" issues? I really don't know. But I think its up to the owner to keep a secret a secret and not up the the US criminal system to punishing people that spread someone else's secret. Since I did not break the code myself, nor used it for any illegal purpose (decoding a DVD-HD disk), I don't think I'm breaking the law.

But what about "civil" courts? Again, I really don't know, but this information is already "out" and me putting it here is not going to add to their "financial loss" in any real way.

And there is a good reason to publish it. It lets people know that AACS days are numbered. If AACS can keep anyone from proving they have found a weakness, or a certain key, then they can lie to their customers and say the system isn't broken, or isn't vulnerable.

Finally, I have not put the "key" in this message, but only a link to the DIGG post. I can't refer to the Digg Blog post without using its hyperlink, and the link IS the keycode. So again, what have I don't that is "wrong"?

I guess I find out... with millions of others...

------ from DIGG ---------
Digg won't go down without a fight. Thanks Kev for changing your mind and amplifying the voices of many! Let freedom ring, or at least go out with a bang!

read more | digg story
--------------------------

0 comments: